Canada has an economy that is expanding at a rate that the government desperately needs more and more foreign workers to fill the gaps in the job market. As such, the country is a modern economic powerhouse. Therefore, the Canadian government has put together numerous schemes, like the International Mobility Program to allow foreign workers to immigrate to Canada.
This is to fill the positions that the Canadian public cannot supply themselves with. However, employers that are offering International Mobility Program jobs do not need to prove no one in Canada can fill the positions. This implies that you will receive an open work permit to live and work with any employer in Canada and also change jobs at will.
Moreover, it’s only for some specific programs and circumstances. In this article, we will discuss the International Mobility Program eligibility and how to apply. Interested? Let’s get started!
What Is The International Mobility Program?
The International Mobility Program is used to refer to the programs that provide temporary foreign workers with open work permits to work in Canada. However, these jobs are without a Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). It allows a Canadian employer to hire a foreign worker with a Canada open work permit.
With the few available streams based on the skill level of the occupation, the International Mobility Program doesn’t show any preference for specific applicants based on the wage offered. Furthermore, employers can hire a foreign worker for a job by providing a transition plan or first offering the position to Canadian workers.
Aside from all this, the processing time for this program is only around two weeks. Whereas most LMIA-approved employment programs usually take several months to process.
Overview Of The Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
A Labor Market Impact Assessment is a document that demonstrates that a Canadian employer has tried to fill a position with Canadians but no suitable candidate has emerged. As such, the employer has resorted to hiring foreign workers to fill these available positions. With the LMIA, the employer is permitted to do so.
However, there are some disadvantages to the LMIA process, which usually prove problematic to both employers and their potential employees. For instance, the LMIA demands that the employer pay the rate specified in the agreement created between the employer and employee when given the job. In addition, the employer must provide equal benefits to both local workers and all foreign workers.
Based on this, the LMIA process can become lengthy as employers must develop a transition or labor market benefits plan. They must also pay a $1,000 fee for the LMIA process. There are even more requirements for employees who earn below $150,000 per year. In this case, employers will have to submit documents proving the legitimacy of their business.
Furthermore, only 20% of the employer’s workforce can come from a temporary foreign worker base. As well as advertise on the government job bank plus two other recruitment methods before hiring a foreign worker temporarily. Therefore, the International Mobility Program is a highly attractive pathway for employers. This is because employers have far greater freedom to develop and advertise positions.
The Canada International Mobility Program is also faster since it is without the LMIA process. It allows the temporary foreign worker to get a visa quickly and efficiently so they can begin working as soon as possible.
Programs Under The Canada International Mobility Program
Below are the programs that fall under the Canada International Mobility Program. Let’s check them out!
This is a program for individuals who have completed studies at a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Delve into the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) official website to learn more about the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.
These agreements are specifically made for workers who are between the age of 18 and 35 years. One of which is the International Experience Canada (IEC) stream.
Canada has made several agreements with its trade partners to provide work to citizens of those countries in the interest of good trade. These agreements include:
- Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA).
- Canada-Chile FTA/Canada-Peru FTA/Canada-Colombia FTA/Canada-Korea FTA.
- Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA).
- General Agreement On Trade In Services.
The intra-company transfer program is designed for individuals who are transferring to a Canadian branch of the company they already work for.
5. The Bridging Open Work Permit
This is often issued for individuals who intend to work in Canada as part of becoming permanent residents. Delve into the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) official website to learn more about Canada’s open work permits.
6. Circumstances Of Social Or Cultural Benefit To Canada
This program is also designed for individuals who can significantly contribute to the culture of Canada based on past success, recommendations, and testimonials from their field. Immigrants often look to immigrate to Canada through international programs such as the Mobilite Francophone Program.
How To Apply For The International Mobility Program Canada
There are three major ways on how to apply for the International Mobility Program. Scroll down!
1. Check If You Qualify
To qualify for this program, you must fulfill the International Mobility Program Canada requirements. These requirements are listed below.
- Have a valid passport.
- You must fill out a work permit application and submit it with all the required documents.
- An official job offer letter from a Canadian employer is required.
Here’s how to determine.
- You must obtain a valid LMIA exemption code.
- For the International Mobility Program Plus, you must have attended a recognized post-secondary school or a secondary school that offers qualifying programs for a minimum of eight months.
- Furthermore, the positions exempt from requiring an LMIA provide broad economic, cultural, or other competitive advantages for Canada. As well as provide reciprocal benefits for Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
- To qualify for an LMIA exemption under the category of significant benefit for Canadian residents, hiring a foreign worker must show significant social or cultural benefits to the country.
2. Secure A Job Offer
You will need to submit a valid job offer from your prospective employer in Canada through the International Mobility Program Employer Portal. Meanwhile, for this job offer to be considered for the International Mobility Program, it must meet the following criteria below.
- The job or temporary foreign worker will need to meet the requirements for LMIA exemption.
- The employer will need to pay the $230 compliance fee.
- In addition, the employer must submit an official job offer to the International Mobility Program Employer Portal if necessary.
However, if the temporary foreign worker has a Canada open work permit, it will be an advantage. As such, the employer won’t have to pay the compliance fee or submit the official job offer.
3. Apply For A Work Permit
If you have met all the requirements above, then it’s time to apply for a work permit. In this case, you will need a Temporary Foreign Work Permit and submit the number of your offer of employment to get this. Furthermore, if you qualify to live and work in Canada, then you will receive a letter of introduction and a work permit from a Canadian border officer.
You’ll also obtain a new work permit if you are already living and applying from within Canada. Only your work permit will not allow you to enter Canada. If you’re coming to work in Canada from another country, you must obtain a Visitor’s or Travel Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).
In addition, you will need to submit your primary Visa documents like a medical certificate. As well as a police certificate that shows a successful background check.
4. Get Ready
Luckily, if your application comes out successful, you will be issued your work permit and travel visa. Then it’s time to get everything ready to live and work in Canada.
Advantages Of An International Mobility Program Canada
- The International Mobility Program will allow you to earn Foreign Work Experience. Undoubtedly, it is more valuable and recognized all over the world.
- Additionally, you do not require the LMIA which cuts off the long process of immigration. And also makes it easier for employers to hire foreign candidates.
- You have the liberty to work under Open Work Permit which allows you to work for any employer in Canada without any restrictions on work.
- Also, this program offers a Spousal Work Permit allowing your partner to live and work in Canada.
- The International Mobility Program has a fast processing time to obtain a work permit compared to a Temporary foreign Work Permit.
- Lastly, it’s the fastest way to obtain Canadian PR. The international mobility program allows an individual to get Canadian Work Experience.
Getting to work in Canada has numerous benefits and can lead to fantastic career and lifestyle opportunities. That which you may not be able to gain in your home country. Furthermore, the International Mobility Program is one of the most simple, direct, and open ways to earn your work permit with an opportunity to work in Canada. It allows you to get your start in the Canadian workforce as quickly as possible.